Digby's Rhyming game
In this game a cute mole named Digby gives the child a word and the child needs to pick another word on the screen that rhymes with it.
Rhyme Time game
In this game the child matches words to rhyming pictures.
Let's RhymeIn this game students pick which two words rhyme out of several possible pairs.
The Whirlyword Machine
The Whirlyword Machine is a 'fruit machine' that makes 3 letter C-V-C words. Choose Level 1 to create rhyming words. Spin the first reel to make new words that use the same word ending. Decide if each new word is a real word or not. If you are correct, the word is collected and added to one of your lists.
Long Vowel Sounds resources
The activities at this site focus on Long Vowel Sounds.
1) Poem Pack: Ten colourful, animated poems with voice over and activities. Each poem deals with a different long vowel sound. Excellent!
2) Print and Do: Worksheets for long vowel sounds.
3) Snap It game: How well do you know your long vowel sounds? Your chance to beat the clock and collect the snaps.
4) Drag N Spell game: Drag the vowels to finish the words before your time runs out!
Advanced Phonemes resources
The activities on this site deal with more advanced phonemes (OW, OY, AR, DEEP U, AIR, OR, AW, IR and EAR)
1) Sandcastle Game: Build a sandcastle and get to know the common spelling patterns for vowel phonemes.
2) Write a Postcard game: Help Salty Sam write a postcard and get used to using words containing alternative spelling patterns for vowel phonemes in sentences.
3) Magic Pencil: Watch how Magic Pencil writes some words containing vowel phonemes. Then have a go yourself.
4) Print and Do: Worksheets for the phonemes.
Word Build & Bank
"Word Build & Bank provides a simple, engaging way for students to generate dozens of different words by first choosing an ending (for example -an, -ed, -at, -op) and then adding a beginning letter or blend. When a correct word is created, the word is stored in a Word Bank where students can read and review their words. For each ending, Word Build & Bank prompts students to create between 6 and 14 different possible words, adding an element of fun and discovery. It uses animation and sound to guide students through the steps of creating words, and employs prompts that are clear and easy to master.
Word Family Sort
"This online activity is designed for beginning and struggling readers to help them recognize word patterns and learn about onset and rime. Students are first asked to select a vowel, and are then presented with a series of words to sort into short-vowel word families.
High-Frequency Sight Words
High-Frequency Word List--Second Grade
This is a great collection of sites that offer online leveled reading. The sites are included using Guided Reading levels as an indicator.
Free online books
Here you will find 30 free leveled books (Levels A to U). The books can be easily printed out and many include additional worksheets. Although these 30 books are free, you have the option to subscribe to the site to get access to more.